Diseases of advanced age
Several diseases usually manifest themselves in the middle or higher age; they reduce quality and duration of life. Effective Anti-Aging strategies should therefore prevent the manifestation of these diseases if
possible or delay their progress.
The following diseases are of special importance:
- Coronary heart disease and myocardial infarction
- Cerebrovascular accidents and stroke
- Circulatory disorders of the legs (occlusive arterial disease)
- Atherosclerosis is the common cause of these illnesses.
Affections of the musculoskeletal system:
- Degenerations of the intervertebral disks
Several malignant diseases arise in the middle and higher age, so e.g. prostate cancer, lung cancer, breast cancer, intestine and stomach cancer.
- Neurodegenerative diseases (Alzheimer´s and Parkinson´s disease, cerebral sclerosis)
- Diseases of the urogenital tract and the hormone system (prostatic hypertrophy, climacteric disorders, sexual disturbances)
- Metabolic disturbances (diabetes mellitus, dyslipidemia, hyperuricemia, obesity)
- Alopecia and other skin diseases related to higher age.
Copyright: Jörg Piper, MD, senior consultant, Clara-Viebig-Str. 4, D-56864 Bad Bertrich, Germany